Wednesday, October 10, 2012

DIY compost

Composting can cut down on waste by as much as half in a household. I just made up that statistic. But seriously, half is a lot when you stop and think of all the food waste one person can make in one day, week, month, or year.

I started composting a couple of years ago. I was amazed by all the things that I could put in my compost. I compost so much now that I'm a vegetarian. So much in fact that I needed a bigger compost to accommodate my super composting habits.

After searching the web for bigger compost containers I was disgusted at the price of most of the styles I liked. Even most of the do it yourself composts were still more money than I wanted to spend.

After seeing my friends compost container that she had made out of pallets, I knew this was the size and price I was looking for.

A compost made out of pallets is super easy and cheap. All you need is 3-4 pallets, chicken wire (the smallest mesh available), and a spot to build it.

I attached chicken wire on the inside of the pallets with a staple gun. Then I propped up the pallets how I liked them. Finally I drilled screws in the corner to secure the compost. And I was ready to compost !!!!!!!

Once my compost got a bit full I put a piece of plywood in the front as door to hold it all in.

Now all you need to do is fill it with food waste (no dairy or meat), dirt, yard debris, and farm animal waste (no dog or cat waste).

Once a month I water it really good and toss it around with a pitchfork.

Within one year you should have the best soil you have ever gardened with.

Compostable items:
Shells of ANY kind
Feathers
Farm animal waste
Vegetables
Fruit
Hay
Ash
Grass
Weeds
Dirt
Paper
Cardboard (small amount)
Yard debris
Soil
Sand
Moss
Other compost
Not too much:
lawn clipping or pine needles
No meat
No dairy
No cat or dog waste

A good blend is critical. You don't want too much of one substance.


No comments:

Post a Comment